Saturday, July 30, 2016

Civilization V

So, I'm a fan of RTS's, and I'm also a fan of sim games, so a long time ago, I picked up a copy of Sid Meier's Civilization.  I won't say that I was in love with the series, as much as obsessed.  The game had a hook I couldn't deny.  So, when the fifth edition of this game was offered on a Humble Bundle, I couldn't help it, I bought it.  It's just as addicting...

Honestly, this game is addicting in a way that steals hours of my life without me noticing, especially because the turns can drag on depending on the number of units you've constructed.  And with something like four or five ways you can win the game at any given moment, it keeps you distracted trying to learn tech, build an army, make friends, and be cultured.  All at the same time.  So, you kind of get sucked in.

One thing I have noticed, to my dismay, is that on a i5 quad core system, with 8GB of ram, the game seems to run slowly, and have graphics artifacts.  Now, if this was a bleeding edge graphics game, I could understand.  But this game is barely 3D.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it looks good, it just isn't stunningly detailed, and its still having issues with lag.

And my final grip is that the game is long, with options to make it even longer.  On a standard campaign, the second fastest option, with only four other countries and a medium sized map, it took me three days to complete the campaign.  This game is LONG.  And not always the most engaging.  So be careful, don't get too caught up, or you may lose a couple of weeks before you notice it.

All in all, Civilization V was okay, I just don't have the time to keep playing it.  There are other games I'd like to try.  So, until next review, I'll catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment