Sunday, February 9, 2020

Hidden Treasures of the Past

     So I was cleaning through my basement the other day and trying to get things organized, which led me to pull out all of the old totes and containers I keep my vintage gaming stuff in.  My kids wanted to know what the Super Game Boy did, so I pulled it out and showed them.  Now, mind you, I acquired my Super Game Boy very late in the consoles life, second hand, so I didn't use it much before the N64 and the Game Boy Advanced eclipsed all that older content.  And since the later of those systems was backwards compatable with Game Boy titles, I never saw much need to be tethered to a television screen.
     So imagine my surprise when the cartridge I inserted, Dragon Quest Monsters 2, Tara's Quest, loaded with images filling the sidebar to make up for the difference in pixel count between the SNES and the Game Boy.  And even more surprising, the image changed depending upon what part of the game i was in.  I remember the days of the Game Boy being limited by the amount of data that could be fit onto a cartridge, so every game tried to pack as much content in as possible.  To even use space for a couple of extra bitmaps was a luxury no developer could afford.  But here they were, and what delighted me more was they were artwork from Akira Toriyama, that I'd never seen before.
     This got me wondering what other titles had hidden images you could only see on the side-bar of the Super Game Boy.  I went through my personal collection and discovered that full half of the games my wife and I collected in our youth had hidden side bars.  And what's more, the Pokémon Trading Card Game Game even used these side bar images to track badge progress, making the image a functional part of the game!
     I'm totally enthralled with these surprises, and I want to seek out all of these gems.  Once I get my analog visual capture hardware set back up, I'm going to seek out all these games and set up a page of all the images and the games they're from.  Wish me luck.
     I'll keep you all updated, and see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment