Friday, February 11, 2011

The Legend of Zelda, Twighlight Princess

Yeah, I know this game is starting to get dated, but hey, I still play games on the NES.  But as I'm sitting here watching the graphics, and wondering to myself why this game was no-where near as popular as Ocarina of Time, I'm struck by two thoughts on that.

First thought is this:  Part of this games problem is that when you are playing as Link, he fights like a marionette.  His actions look fake and puppet-like, which really ruins the amazing design this game has.

The second problem is release.  This game, of all of the Zelda games, had a terribly botched release.  It was originally designed for the Game Cube, came out for only a few weeks, then disappeared.  Then only to be replaced with a release for the Wii, which had just come out.  And they didn't even really try to re-adjust the controls for the new system.  Luckily, I have my hands on a copy of the Game Cube version, so it plays a lot easier.

I always hate when a game gets screwed up by in popularity because of a botched release.  Remember StarCraft Ghosts?  So, if anyone out there shares my annoyance with a terribly handled game release, let me know in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the game when it was first released on the Gamecube, it was when I tried to play it on the Wii that I found it wasn't as good as Ocarina. The Wiimote waggling hurt that game imo. Also I didn't really like the wolf stuff, I found myself anxious to get past those parts so I could have fun again.

    Side note- Starcraft Ghost released wasn't botched cause that game was never released. It was cancelled. It is only popular because it was very close to release before they cancelled it and was one of the only Blizzard games that was given a released date and then cancelled. Blizzard tends to not give release dates until they have to.

    ReplyDelete